The recent explosion of wearable consumer products for monitoring physiological information, such as heart rate or skin temperature, provides the promise for personalized medicine wherein an individual’s health status can be continuously evaluated...
Bulk metallic glasses (BMGs) are amorphous metallic alloys produced by melting and thermal quenching which exhibit desirable properties such as high strength and good formability (at reduced temperatures versus pure metals). As a result, these materials are ideal for patterning and controlling the morphology, with example applications in nanoimprint lithography molds, plastic-replacement components, and field emission devices...
Why are things so small, so significant? A new video series created by the National Science Foundation (NSF) and NBC Learn, the educational arm of NBCUniversal News, sheds light on this question.
"Nanotechnology: Super Small Science" is a six-part series and shows viewers how atoms and molecules that are thousands of times smaller than the width of a human hair can be used as building blocks to create future technology...
After six years of painstaking effort, a group of University of Wisconsin-Madison materials scientists believe their breakthrough in growing tiny sheets of zinc oxide could have huge implications for the future of nanomaterial manufacturing—and in turn, on a host of electronic and biomedical devices...
Industry News Headlines
- Real-time and label-free detection of single viruses in complex solutions
- Cellulose aerogel made of paper waste is biodegradable, non-toxic, flexible and ultra-strong
- New method for producing tiny cracks in electrodes may mean big boost for nanoelectronics
- Researchers discover new phase of boron nitride
- Room-temperature lithium metal battery closer to reality
- Seeding better efficiencies in monocrystalline silicon solar cells
- Identifying Commercial Success Stories from the National Nanotechnology Initiative: National Nanotechnology Coordination Office and White House Office of Science and Technology Policy Issue a Request for Information on NNI-Supported Success Stories
- An alternative to platinum: Iron-nitrogen compounds as catalysts in graphene
- Energy-saving minicomputers for the Internet of Things
- Nanotechnology: the big picture (video)
- Wrapping Silicon Sawdust in a Graphene Cage Improves Lithium-Ion Battery Performance
- New Technique May Open Up Effective Way to Produce Metallic/Semiconducting Nanomaterials
- Increasing oil's performance with crumpled graphene balls
- Nanofabrication of a silicon chip with all quantum info processor - Next Big Future