A joint research group including senior researcher Shinsuke Ishihara at the Frontier Molecules Group, International Center for Materials Nanoarchitectonics (MANA), National Institute for Materials Science (NIMS), and Professor Timothy M. Swager, at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), developed a chemical sensing material whose electrical conductivity dramatically increases when exposed to toxic gases...
The entry of nanotechnology into manufacturing has been compared to the advent of earlier technologies that have profoundly affected modern societies, such as plastics, semiconductors, and even electricity. Applications of nanotechnology promise transformative improvements in materials performance and longevity for electronics, medicine, energy, construction, machine tools, agriculture, transportation, clothing, and other areas...
To continue advancing, next-generation electronic devices must fully exploit the nanoscale, where materials span just billionths of a meter. But balancing complexity, precision, and manufacturing scalability on such fantastically small scales is inevitably difficult. Fortunately, some nanomaterials can be coaxed into snapping themselves into desired formations—a process called self-assembly.
Scientists at the U.S...
In work that aims to protect soldiers from biological and chemical threats, a team of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory scientists has created a material that is highly breathable yet protective from biological agents.
This material is the first key component of futuristic smart uniforms that also will respond to and protect from environmental chemical hazards. The research appears in the July 27 edition of the journal, Advanced Materials...
Industry News Headlines
- Moire Nanosphere Lithography allows fabrication of large-area tunable graphene metasurfaces
- Mask Maker Worries Grow - SemiEngineering
- 'Ideal' energy storage material for electric vehicles developed
- Chemical sensing nanomaterial enables smartphones to detect toxic gases
- A silicon-metal nanocomposite for high capacity lithium-ion batteries
- New microchip demonstrates efficiency and scalable design
- Researchers reduce expensive noble metals for fuel cell reactions
- Using spider-silk as a superlens to increase a microscope's potential
- Breakthrough in the synthetic replication of composite-material structures found in Mother of pearl
- Developing Self-Shading Windows
- County snags $2.2M federal grant for FAMRC - Osceola News-Gazette
- Haydale, Filamentprint Launch New Graphene Enhanced PLA Filaments for 3D Printing
- Smarter Self-assembly Opens New Pathways for Nanotechnology
- Single-Crystal Graphene Films Grown More Than 100 Times as Fast as Previously Possible